[Gpdd] Christmas Eve

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Mon Dec 24 04:46:57 EST 2007

Thank you so much for the lovely Mouse Card. I shall print it out in a moment before I get involved with other things.

I am replying whilst the Piggyfriends munch their way through breakfast.

I'm pleased that you have lots of Christmas lights to enjoy. I'm not sure why it is so dismal over here this year. We are bombarded with "save energy" type propaganda every day and, although I recycle everything possible, I am not being dictated to at Christmas. A lot of towns decided not to decorate as they were afraid of upsetting the non-Christians and I suppose that could be in the minds of some householders too. As far as I am concerned, the midwinter festival predates Christianity by a mile so I am celebrating the pagan festival of Yule and that's that! Many schools stopped performing a Nativity play this year for the same reason, which is a shame for the little ones. I remember being delighted to be the third angel from the right or a shepherd boy and my sons loved it too.

The visit to Maureen was not as long as anticipated as she had a mayoral function to attend in the evening so, despite the fog, we were home in time for me to make a huge batch of gingerpig cookies and a pile of sausage rolls and other nibbles.

Sean arrived later in the evening. The fog was not too bad for most of his journey as it seemed to have been confined to the coastal areas.

We wil be having Christmas dinner here in the evening. Most restaurants are booked up weeks in advance and I was not sure who would be here and when. I don't expect everyone to eat veggie meals! I have a turkey in the oven for the carnivores and have made a veg roast for Kevin and myself. I used a product called "Quorn" which is a meat substitute and looks like chunks of chicken and makes a good "meatloaf" mixed with veggies.

Colcannon. My granny used to make this and I still do. The basic recipe is mashed potatoes and kale mixed with chopped scallions. In England these are called spring onions. If you use any other veg than kale, then it should be called "Thump" or "Champ". You can add any other veggies that you like for variety.

Time to go and get some work done.

Have a wonderful Christmas. Lots of love to you, Lady Bug and the Fishy Folk.

Penny and the Piggyfriends, birds and mice. xxx