[Gpdd] (Health) Re: Abscess/Incontinence

Stacy Harvey ckrtsqrl2000 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 24 13:00:13 EST 2007

Thanks to all who wrote me about Willie's abscess and Maxine's incontinence.

  I think I will go with the lance/flush procedure for Willie instead of surgery, for now. I have a good vet and I have access to a couple other veterinarians at school who can help me out (for free). I'm not ready to try and lance the thing on my own--I'll leave that up to my vet--but I think I can manage the 2-3 times per day flushing. I know abscesses take a while to heal...but I agree with Penny--I don't like to put my piggies under anesthesia if I don't have to. We'll see what happens.

  I've tried everything I can think of to make the Baytril more palatable, but nothing works. Willie hates taking medicine and he is not a very good patient, so I think I will take Janneke's advice and just wrap him up like a burrito and he'll take his medicine whether he likes it or not! :>)

  Maxine has improved greatly in just a few days from my cleaning with hypoallergenic baby wipes and applying a thin layer of A&D ointment--for those who don't know, A&D is used for diaper rash, burns, small cuts, chapped skin...and I use it when I get a new tattoo during the healing process (keeps it from itching and peeling). I use the kind without the zinc (it makes me break out and I figure it's not good for the piggers anyway.)

  I would really like to get some of the Vet Bed, it sounds like a great product, but the cost is a little more than I can spare right now (money--or lack thereof--is why I couldn't participate in the Secret Santa Pig exchange this year.) It certainly sounds like a lot less maintenance than traditional bedding. I don't see why this stuff hasn't caught on here in the States--especially with all the veterinary boarding facilities and "doggie day cares" that we have here. Oh well--it'll get here eventually. In the meantime, I will just have to spot clean the girls' pen a little more frequently. An act of love for my little furbabies :>)

  Thanks again for the advice--it's much appreciated!

  -Stacy and the Squee Squad