[Gpdd] MISC: Merry Christmas

Ruth Leibowitz dr.leibq at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 25 15:56:42 EST 2007

Dear Tex and others who share the same viewpoint about Christmas:

When you wish someone a Merry Christmas, you are doing just that -- wishing them a Merry Christmas.  If what you mean to wish them is magic and hope, joy and kindness, you could always use those words, and you could wish people these things at any time of year. Yes, these qualities are shared by many.  The themes of birth, death, and rebirth which are so important in Christianity, are also important in many other spiritual traditions, including those much older than Christianity.  Although Christmas has certain meanings to you, which I respect from your point of view, there are many non-Christians in the world who do not share your experiences, your cultural background, or your particular associations with that holiday.  To many of us, Christmas is someone else's holiday, and since Christians are a majority in this country it means being bombarded by someone else's beliefs and background for several weeks out of each year.  While in your case it is clear that it is done with good intentions, your declaration that Christmas in itself is somehow universal does not sit well with many non-Christians.  Yes, magic and hope, joy and kindness, ARE universals, but not your particular holiday.

That being said, and I hope this list can tolerate a little bit of controversy from piggy-lovers of all cultural and religious backgrounds, I wish you all a lovely season, light emerging from the darkness -- and yes, magic and hope, joy and kindness for you and those you love.

Respectfully,
Ruth