[Gpdd] MISC---Christmas

Anita Fair anifair at comcast.net
Wed Dec 26 14:51:52 EST 2007

To Joan and Tex,
It's not that a minority "doesn't like it," or wants to "change everything."  That's not the point. As a minority member I have no wish to change anyone's enjoyment of the season. I have too much respect for other's traditions, as I hope they would have for mine, minority or not. Wish anyone you like a Merry Christmas, but please do try to understand that not everyone shares your beliefs or holidays, or knows your good intentions. For the non-Christian on the other side of this greeting, what comes through is not universal goodwill, but that the greeter assumes everyone celebrates Christmas. I don't know how many times I have been asked by complete strangers, "Are you ready for Christmas?" And if I answer, "I don't celebrate Christmas," they look at me with a confused frown.
"Happy Holidays" is a fine greeting for those who you know do not celebrate Christmas, and for anyone else you are not sure of.
Let's all be tolerant and respectful this season and keep other's considerations in mind.
Happy Holidays, everyone!
Anita