[Gpdd] Misc--Merry Christmas

dganley at tampabay.rr.com dganley at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Dec 26 23:19:25 EST 2007

This is totally off-topic, but I agree with Tex & Joan--"Merry Christmas" has become a forbidden term in the last few years.  I wish Jewish people a "Happy Hanukah."  I recently (during the first week of December, during Hanukah) got a lovely gift from a friend who's Jewish & she wished me a "Happy Hanukah" in the attached card--fine with me, I didn't take offense.  I just appreciated the sentiment, tho I'm not Jewish.

However, during the week before Christmas, I make it a point to respond to wishes of "Happy Holidays" or "Seasons Greetings"  by the grocery store clerk or whoever with "Merry Christmas."    Many are surprised by my response, which is pretty sad.  If I can wish my Jewish friends a "Happy Hanukah" during their holiday, why is it so wrong to wish people who celebrate Christmas an equally happy holiday?  Granted, the two holidays sometimes overlap, time-wise, but  that needs to be addressed on a case by case basis.

The media is not giving Christians the upper hand in the danged commercials that start in September--a Lexus can be the perfect Hanukah or Christmas gift, according to them.  They'd promote GroundHog Day, if it fattened their bottom line.  If anything, the media are  the ones who have perpetuated the "Happy Holiday" thing so they reach everyone with their ads.  I'm not going for it--my girls got Christmas gifts this year, we sent Christmas gifts to our piggie friends (except for Boo & Bud, who celebrate Hanukah) & no one got a Lexus!  I hope everyone & everypig had a Merry Christmas yesterday!   Deb, Molly & Emma (& Potter, always with us.)