[Gpdd] Misc: why the guinea pig?

Mieke Staaks pandameisje at gmail.com
Sun Feb 4 17:46:30 EST 2007

Well I haven't shared my story with you guys yet, so here goes.
Janneke already told part of it, but not how or why it started.

My very first guinea pig I got from a friend in primary school. Her
guineapig gave birth to little ones. It (sorry, but i honestly don't know if
it was a girl or boy piggie) was called 'Vlekje', which is something like
'small Spot'. I liked it and on friday my piggie would always get a piece of
cracker which he/she loved. It was also allowed to run outside the cage
then, the rest of the week it stayed inside. We probably did not take
prefect care of it, because we did not know better... I liked it, but never
was so charmed as I am with my current piggies.

Then years later when I was in high school (a teenager) one of my friends
had piggies which her brother took home from his gardening (animal care)
school. They were really fun to watch and when I got home I told my mom very
enthousistically about the piggies. My mom's response was NO you can't have
a guinea pig. I did not even ask to have one, did not have that intention,
just liked them. But since my mom said I couldn't have one, I wnated one.
But never really got one at that time...

When I went to university and started living on my own, together with other
students (like campus). My brother got a guinea pig called Dobby (after
harry potters house elf). I really liked this guy, and thought I would like
te company and someone to take care of, so I got to the petshop (sorry about
that, did not really know about shelters) and bought my male piggie Winky
(also named after a house elf from harry potter, after whom the winky girls
are named). He was my first piggie I took care of myself, as a child my mom
always did that...

After Winky died at the age of 3, 3 and a half years old I was really sad.
Winky had been sick al lot, his back teeth became way to long and could not
eat with it, when that got fixed he did not want to eat anymore, but luckily
after half a year hand feeding he started eating again. I was hooked, a
slave for life. I took Winky to my mom, because I did not have a garden and
wanted to bury him. When My mom and boyfriend picked me up at the train
station (a travelled over 4 hours with dead winky in his travelling
cage...), my mom's boyfriend suggested we take a look at the garden centre
near the station. so we went to take a look and there was Lotje. Winky had
been sick when I bought him, but lotje was the most busy little piggie in
the cage, running from one to another side and back again. Eating some, just
being overly active. She was also a rex piggie like Winky was. Since winky
was sick when i bought him I wanted a lively piggie, hoping to get a healthy
pig this time. Luckily she was :D, I got her from my mom's boyfriend.

I talked about getting a second piggie, since a learned from you guys this
is better for the piggie. Then my mom and her boyfriend saw Guiny and bought
her because she was so pretty, I got an email that they bought me a second
piggie. I would have liked to pick her out myself, but she was so pretty!
She was also really scared and hid in the hay most of the time. But as she
got older and Lotje and Guiny grew attached to eacht other, she became the
boss and still is.

Almost two months ago I bought Dunya from a breeder. She himalayan and had a
little flaw. Her nose isn't completely brown which it should be but I love
the little white stripe on her nose which kind of has a heartshape! Janneke
knew I had a weak spot for himalayans. So when she saw dunya on a website
she brought it to my attention.
this was kind of as revenge (in a playful way). She just loves Tessels (i
think is like alpaca in english), basically they are rex piggies with longer
curly hair. I found one and send the mail to her, because i knew she wanted
one. But she does not want to have one since yaya's got satin disease and
she wants to be able to invest money in keeping Yaya healthy when that will
be the case in the future. Of course we hope she will never get problems,
but i think it is inevitable :( As a reply to my tessel mail, she sent me
himalayan mail... But I just love me Dunya, being the little Loud
personality that she is...
And I know for sure when time comes Janneke will have a Tessel piggie!

Okay that was my story, sorry for it being a bit long, but talking about
one's piggies is always great!

Mikey and the Western Winky Girls: Lotje, Guiny and Dunya
Winky and Vlekje in memory

Mpstaaks at emxn.com
pandameisje at gmail.com
pandameisje at hotmail.com