[Gpdd] [health]samson still sneezing and runny nose

Rachel H rmhenise at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 6 22:24:35 EST 2007

Hi!

  Sometime in november I had written about my boy Samson having the sniffles and weight loss.  I scheduled him for a vet appt. and someone suggested to me to try Chlortrimeton and he seemed to improve.  I then went to the vet and she said he had a mild URI and treated it with 240mg/5 Sulfa/Trimeth Oral Susp. and bene-bac gel.  I read in the guinea lynx booklet given to me by the rescue and it said that you should see improvement right away but i did not.  I then assumed it was an allergy so I kept him on fleece instead of shavings and put a separator between him and his cage mate so I could monitor his eating and try to get his weight up...he seemed to get a little better but still no weight gain...his appetite throughout all this has been good so I didnt worry too much although he had ocassional sneezing.

  Then in January I noticed a runny nose again and secretion from his eye which really worried me.  I took him to a different vet and told her that the other medication he was on didnt work.  She put him on Chloramphenicol 500mg and an eye ointment.  I noticed minor improvement as he still sneezed.  I have however noticed he has gained weight finally! which makes me feel so much better but am so confused!  She suggested the next step is taking an xray and seeing if it is a tooth infection.  I am going to try the Chlortrimeton one more time and if that doesnt work then i will see if it is a tooth infection.

  The snot that comes out is white.  While he's eating i can sometimes hear him snort like he has sucked food up into his nose, which is how i noticed it the very first time in november. Could someone please tell me of their experiences with tooth infection? Could it be pneumonia or just some sort of allergy that will never be cured?  If he is eating and acting fine how worried should i be?

  Sorry for the long post! But please I need answers! =)

  Rachel