[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Sneezy Samson

DebJonSara at aol.com DebJonSara at aol.com
Wed Feb 7 03:53:20 EST 2007

Rachel

I have lost 2 piggies to pneumonia, and know how difficult a condition this
is to shift in piggies; the second I lost was one of my youngest, and I
thought  we had beaten it but it had just lain low.

I would definitely have his teeth checked out, as it does sound as though  it
could be a tooth abscess. But the reason I'm posting is that his symptoms
sound very similar to those of my rabbit, Bisou. She sneezed from the day I got
her, and had all kinds of incompetent diagnoses (I live in rural France,
where  rabbits are usually eaten before they have the chance to need vet care!),
but  eventually, spurred on by Internet forum advice, I insisted a swab was
taken  from her nose, and bordatella showed up. This is a bacteria that can live
harmlessly inside rabbit nostrils but prove fatal to guinea pigs. Sadly,
Bisou's  infection was by this time chronic (she had had loads of courses of
antibiotics,  both oral and injected), so she was never "cured", although she is
now almost 4  years old and doing well in her new home in Britain (where she had
to go because  of the lousy vet care here).

I am wondering whether Samson could possibly have bordatella? If the vet  has
not done a swab from his nose and had it analysed, I think you should press
for this - really, there is little point in administering antibiotics unless
one  has identified the offending germ and found out which spectrum of
antibiotics it  is sensitive to.

Bisou never stopped eating or seemed particularly ill - as I say, she still
sneezes now. She had thick white snot come out of her nose sometimes. One
thing  I did try with her which did seem to help was nebulising her with
antibiotics. I  bought a nebuliser through Ebay and attached it to a plastic box with a
lid and  a hole in it for the nebuliser tube. It did seem to help. It also,
incidentally,  later saved the life of an elderly cat I had who developed cat
flu in spite of  having been vaccinated all her life. But sorry, I digress!

Good luck with Samson. I know the worry you must be feeling - I was driven
to distraction by Bisou's constant sneezing and the vets' inability to treat it
 satisfactorily. Do make sure you keep Samson warm and away from draughts -
but I  am sure the vet will have told you all that!

Debbie (and the 13 Dolly Mixtures)

"The animal  shall not be measured by man. In a world older and more complete
than ours they  move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the
senses we have lost or  never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.
They are not brethren,  they are not underlings; they are other nations, caught
with ourselves in the  net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendour
and travail of the  earth".

Henry Beston