[Gpdd] MISC: Flying with Piggies

Luita Spangler luitad at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Wed Feb 7 16:30:25 EST 2007

When I moved from New Hampshire to Berlin, Germany, I naturally moved
with Adelle. As some readers of the GPDD probably remember, I had a
protracted battle with Lufthansa about Adelle travelling in Cargo,
involving my receiving contradictory information every time I checked on
the situation (one time they told me that, while cats and dogs could
travel in the passenger compartment, "animals like horses and guinea
pigs" had to travel in cargo - ??) and my threatening the airline with
legal action if anything happened to her. Despite my best efforts to be
a Threatening Customer, Adelle still had to travel in cargo, but I
received strong assurances that the Lufthansa cargo area was both heated
and had proper air pressure, and that Lufthansa had lots of experience
transporting animals safely. She made the trip in her carrier with
newspaper on the bottom, lots and lots of hay to hide in and to damper
the noise, a part of one of my t-shirts for a comforting and familiar
smell, and lettuce, cucumber and carrots to munch on during the flight
(no water, as it would spill and make a mess). The entire flight was
nine hours, including a stopover in Frankfurt, and she was absolutely
fine. She was about two when we moved, and she lived many happy years in
Berlin.

My advice: ask the airlines what kind of conditions exist in cargo, and
whether and how much experience they have transporting animals. Be sure
to remind them that guinea pigs are sensitive animals and are vulnerable
to such things as fear-induced heart attacks, and mildly mention the
probability of legal action if anything happens to Lucky. Put him in a
carrier that has enough room to move around a bit, but not too much room
in case of turbulance. Give him lots of hay to hide in and munchies,
including lettuce to keep him hydrated, and include something snuggly
that smells like you.

Good luck,

Luita and
Bert and Ernie, the Berlin-born boys