[Gpdd] [MISC] Flying with piggys

Ann Evans ann at hintlink.com
Wed Feb 7 20:40:58 EST 2007

I have flown with my piggys several times. In 200, I and 3 piggys and a
rabbit flew on Northwest Airlines from Alpena Michigan to Tampa Florida.
The animals were in the pet cargo section that is heated and
pressurized. In 2003, I flew with 16 piggys from Miami Florida to the
island of Grenada on BWIA to Barbados and LIAT airlines to Grenada. I
needed an in transit permit for Barbados and an import permit for
Grenada. Grenada did not require quarantine but I had to pay duty on the
piggys. In 2004, I and 16 piggys flew back from Grenada in the West
Indies on BWIA to Miami. The United States does not require import
permits but I went ahead and got health certificates for each piggy. I
did not have to pay duty on the piggys when they entered the USA. I have
contacted Delta airlines about flying with my 9 piggys to Bermuda where
my husband and I may be moving. They allow guinea pigs to fly in the pet
cargo section of the same plane that we will be flying on. Bermuda
requires health certificates and import permits but no quarantine. The
United Kingdom now has a pre-quarantine programs where your animals are
quarantined in the USA prior to flying to London. A vet must come to
visit them every month for 6 months. Then the animals can fly to London
and not have to go through quarantine. There is no quarantine for
animals leaving the UK.

Hope this helps.
Ann Evans married to a British man