[Gpdd] CARE Death and bonded pairs.

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Fri Feb 9 15:13:33 EST 2007

Bethany, I am so sorry to read your sad story and to know that Silky will soon be on her own.

I am probably guilty of attaching human emotions to our piggies but I always try to explain to them where their companion has gone. I have a period of "saying goodbye" when the bereaved piggy has the chance to look at the departed one. How much they understand I do not know. Sometimes they will talk to or snuggle up to their friend. Other times they look confused. I then carry the lost one round all the pens to say goodbye. I think it helps me as much as the piggies.

I then try to either find a new friend for the one left behind or integrate them into another group and it is a shame that you will not be able to do this with Silky. You might like to try what I did recently with a bereaved piggy, Sylvie, whose mother, Ash passed away. Sylvie is nearly 7 and has cataracts and I didn't think that she could cope with a new friend or group at her age as she sleeps a lot. I rubbed a piece of vetbed ( a fleecy bedding fabric ) into Ash's coat and rolled it up into a piggy shape. Sylvie snuggles up next to it for her nap in the same way that she used to do with her mum.

I don't believe for a moment that she is fooled by it but it might be a comfort to her and she has started to eat up more. I thought when Ash died that I would lose Sylvie too.

The photos of your piggies are beautiful and will be a constant reminder of your precious ones.

Thinking of you at this sad time,

Penny and the Piggyfriends.