[Gpdd] ANNOUNCE: Sooty has passed

bwk keiper at hiwaay.net
Sat Feb 10 01:55:00 EST 2007

Thanks to those of you who sent advice to me. Blessed little shy Sooty passed away
this morning here at home with Silky and me nearby.

I'll try to explain what went on... Sooty had a mass in her tummy that grew very
large, and as a shy pig she kept it hidden from me as long as possible, and as an
incompetent person I did not detect it.

They thought it was an ovarian cyst, and my exotics vet was going to drain it a few
days ago, went to do that, and there was no fluid of consequence to drain. It was a
fleshy mass. Sooty was too old and too weak for surgery.

He had sent the fluid he did get in to a pathologist; the results came in later
today, and they did not find cancer cells. But they can't determine what the mass is
from the fluid (an ovary itself, or a kidney, or her spleen, or just what exactly).
So surgery, he explained today, probably would have ended up with her dying on the
table.

Both he and the pathologist want to find out what happened to her. So they are both
going to donate their own time and resources to do the surgery next week to see what
happened. And maybe they can help other gps in the future.

Silky seems to be okay for now. I'm trying to be okay with this. I don't want her to
suffer any more. We'll be missing Sooty here.

Good-bye sweet Sooty
http://home.hiwaay.net/~keiper/gpigs4.htm