[Gpdd] MISC: cats and pigs

Ruth Leibowitz dr.leibq at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 12 15:11:02 EST 2007

For the person who wrote in about how and whether cats and piggies get
along, I think it probably completely depends on the individual animals. I
have one cat who gets along with other species in general.  He likes my
guinea pigs and does not treat them as prey animals.  For example, when the
piggies run around on the kitchen floor during their exercise time he will
sometimes jump over the gate into the kitchen and just "hang out" with them.
  They are completely unafraid of him; they are actually curious about him
and will even go up to him and begin to nibble on his tail.  And a few times
I have seen one of my piggies touch noses with him.  My other cat is not as
social, and she does not seem to have any interest in the piggies at all, as
either friends or prey.  The piggies have met both of the cats, and have not
responded to either one with fear.  They seem to all recognize that they are
members of the same "family."

Even with the cat who gets along well with the piggies, I do not leave him
alone with them without my being there.  This is because he is quite a large
cat (around 14 pounds), and he has taken a gentle swipe at one of them a few
times when they bother him too much.  He doesn't try to hurt them, but
because he is so much larger I worry -- so I keep an eye out.  If I see that
the piggies are approaching him too much and he is beginning to get annoyed,
I will separate them.

I would suggest that after your cat has some time to acclimate to his or her
new surroundings, you introduce the cat to the pigs while holding the pigs
on your lap so that it is clear to the cat that they are under your
protection.  See how they react to one another and go from there.  If the
pigs show a lot of fear, respect that and don't force the issue.  If the cat
appears to see them as prey animals, it would be dangerous to give them
access to one another.  However, I think in many cases cats and pigs can be
OK with one another; just don't leave them alone together because of size
differences that can lead to potential injuries for piggies.

I wonder what other experiences people have had between cats and piggies...

Ruth in Portland

Live.com page.
http://www.live.com/?addTemplate=ValentinesDay&ocid=T001MSN30A0701