[Gpdd] [CARE] Introduction of piggie in cage

Sandi Korman sdattler at axcessystems.com
Thu Feb 15 12:31:20 EST 2007

On August 20th I purchased Sundai as a friend for Checkers.  Checkers lost her daughter in January and I thought she was looking a little lost without her friend.  I immediately took Sundai to the vet, she had mites which was treated and I kept her separate from Checkers for 6 wheeks. I then decided to introduce them slowly by keeping them in separate cages but giving them floor time together.  It was fine but they would have little fights (Checkers is my total Type A girl!).  I then noticed that Sundai was growing at an abnormally quick pace.  Yep she was pregnant (I purchased her that way) Well I immediately stopped floor time.  I didn't want Checkers and Sundai to have a fight which would induce labor or hurt Sundai.  Needless to say on October 21st Sundai gave birth to 3 beautiful babies..2 girls and 1 boy.  So now Sundai is in her cage with her 2 girls.  Q-Bert (blind and now neutered) is in a cage by himself and Checkers is in her own cage.  Everyone has floor time together and it goes well but if anyone ends up in anyone else's cage with the cage door closed, all hell breaks loose!  There's fighting, squealing, etc.  I would like to have only 2 cages instead of 3.  Does anyone know if this will ever be able to occur?  Q-Bert was in a cage with Bert but Bertie died in December and he's been on his own since.

The funny thing is that during floor time (I have all 3 cage doors open and everyone can come and go as they please) Checkers, Sundai, and Sundai will both go into Q's cage (small cage) and be fine.  They will eat from the same food bowl and will be fine.

Sandi