[Gpdd] (Rainbow Bridge) Jasper

Stacy Harvey ckrtsqrl2000 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 16 09:15:13 EST 2007

It is with a heavy heart that I must announce the passing of my sweet little Jasper. He was fine yesterday morning, but last night he stopped eating and just sat puffed up in a corner. I tried feeding him some Critical Care (which he usually loves) and some water but he refused both. There's one 24-hour emergency vet in this stupid town and they "only see cats and dogs". So I put him to bed and fully expected him to be gone this morning; after tossing and turning all night, I woke to find him barely alive. I picked him up and wrapped him in a towel and sat on the couch with him. I kept saying to him "I wish you would stay until the vet's office opens...but if you have to go, I understand."  He finally breathed his last at 5:15 this morning. I feel that he stayed through the night just so he could say goodbye to me.

  As many of you know, Jasper was one of the MGPR rescues from that old man that had 240 pigs in his garage. Jasper was the one that had mites so bad that he was having seizures. I think his rough start in life caused him to be...well...not the brightest bulb on the strand. He was a little slow to catch onto things--it took him several months to figure out that treats would come out of the treat dispenser if he pushed it with his nose. But he was SO sweet. He didn't like to be handled much, but he would sit in his cage, flatten himself out, and purrrrrr like crazy when you pet him. He even purred for me a little last night. I'll miss his crazy "rooster tail" of red hair on his backside.

  I know that hiding illness is a defense mechanism for them, but it was such a shock to see him so ill last night when he was bouncing around like nothing was wrong just that morning. I don't really know how old he was, but he was pretty young when I got him; I'm guessing he was probably only about 2 1/2 --another reason it was so shocking...he was just so young...

  His cagemate, Scooter, doesn't seem to be showing any signs that he knows Jasper is gone. I'm hoping he doesn't get too lonely. Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers.

  -Stacy and the once again mournful Squee Squad