[Gpdd] [MISCELLANEOUS] Thank Your for the Warm Welcome

Hala Annette annettehala at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 22 12:10:10 EST 2007

  Thank you all for the warm welcome.  Rodney has just finished a large piece of kale and is taking a nap.  Let me answer your questions about us.
  We adopted Rodney when he was a year and a half old.  He is the fourth pet our family has ever had.  (The first three were hamsters.)  Some American friends of ours in Japan got Rodney from the pet shop for their daughter's Christmas present.  I have never understood the logic behind that purchase.  They knew they would be leaving Japan in less than two years.  She became very attached to him (which was their intention) and leaving him was very hard for her.  My guess is that he was only about a month old when they got him from the pet store.  She carried him around with her all the time.  She let him run free in her room and he slept in her bed.  He liked to sleep on her pillow next to her head.  She didn't mind having poos in her bed!  He developed a strong bond with her and would follow her everywhere.  She would take him outside and put him down on the grass in an unfenced area and he would follow right behind here and never stray.
  Rodney's name is a bit of a story.  The girl's first guinea pig was named Rosie and the pet store person told her mom that this guinea pig was a girl.  Therefore he was named Rosie II.  He developed an allergy to wood chips when he was a couple of months old and at the vet visit they discovered that Rosie was a he.  He was promptly renamed Rodney.  I think it might have had something to do with Dr. Doolittle or Rodney being the closest male equivalent to Rosie.
  When we got Rodney I started researching about bringing him to America.  I couldn't let myself love him I there was a chance I would have to leave him behind.  We didn't have any plans to leave Japan but you never know.  I don't think his previous owners looked into it at all.  I discovered that it was doable but would be expensive and a lot of hustle.  I have the whole story of our trip written down.  Should I post it on here all at once or put it on in sections like a thrilling serial?

  Annette & Rodney