[Gpdd] (Health) Uterine Tumor

pat schuett bunzella at yahoo.ca
Sat Feb 24 15:40:44 EST 2007

Hi there,

My oldest original piggie, Daphne, has just been
diagnosed with a large uterine tumor --- the vet says
about the size of a small orange (Daph weighs about 3
lbs total). I had noticed a little blood in her
litterbox in the past few days, thought she might have
a urinary infection and was planning to take her to
the vet this morning anyhow, but this morning I
noticed she seemed to be bleeding from the vaginal
area.

The vet only palpated Daphne's abdomen; she hasn't
done ultrasound, x-ray or needle aspiration, but she
said she was quite sure it was malignant and too big
for surgery to be an option.  I was just stunned by
this news and did not ask as many questions as I
should have, but now I am trying to do some research
on this to make sure we are not overlooking anything
that could help Daphne.

At the moment, Daphne is behaving like her regular
self; her appetite is good and she is active and
alert.  The vet said her heart and lungs sounded good
so no other vital organs are being affected at the
moment; she is also peeing and pooping normally.  She
doesn't appear to be in pain and didn't object to the
vet squeezing her body, but the vet suggested I try
her on metacam for a few days to see if it made any
difference (I hate the idea that she might be in pain
and just putting up with it).

Has anyone had any experience with uterine tumors, or
can suggest any alternatives to just keeping her
comfortable and waiting for things to take their
course?  I am determined not to make Daphie miserable
with treatments that do not have a good chance of
helping her but I also don't want to give up too
easily if she can be helped...

                                           Pat S.

P.S. There are no really good guinea pig vets
available, but mine is willing to do research and
consult with more experienced vets.