[Gpdd] Bladderstone surgery - blood still - really worried

Suzanne Caine suziec222 at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Feb 25 16:52:23 EST 2007

  Hi,

 I have posted this on the advice of individuals on the bladderstones mailing list.
Having problems signing up to Guinea Lynx forum - really helpful if someone could post this on there please.

  This is a long post, but please read it. I am really worried about Doris. The bottom of the e-mail contains my original post on Sun 18 Feb. There are questions in this and the update – please answer if you know anything.
  Thanks in advance,
  Suzanne
  Update
  Two and half weeks since first op (Thurs 8 Feb - bladderstone) now, second op was Mon 12 Feb.
  Doris has has an injection of Cartrophen for her arthritis - was monthly, but this was the first 6 week one(and apparently this stimulates the bladder as well).  Doris did perk up when she was put back on hay . I had been putting her primarily on towels to watch her output, with access to hay etc, but not lying directly on it. She perked up and I thought that things were going better, but she has gone back down again. Had virtually stopped the syringe feeding but back on it - she is not eating and drinking by herself at all.

  Past few days have been quite good and averaging 40-60ml syringe feed of Supa Guinea Excel, and 40ml fluid. 4-5 feeds in day and 1-2 during the night, so constant movement in intestines (i hope).
  Wonder if this is due to a change of meds:

 Now:

 Septrin 0.5ml 2 x a day
 Prepulsid 0.2ml 2 x a day
 Rimadyl 4-5mg 1 x a day (This is apparently the upper limit - how many days is ok?)
 Potassium Citrate (made up from cystitis sachet) 10 mg 2 x a day

 Also fluids about half Bio Lapis and half water

 Have got vit c powder today to try - thinking 25mg - ok dose?

 Also bought 100% pure cranberry concentrate from Holland & Barrett, but unsure how to diulte, Pro-C Probiotic (pro & pre-biotic and vit c) and water soluble multi vits for guineas - will use these to cut down on vet charges for bio lapis.

 Vet suggested 2 drops of Ribena in a cup of water - ok?
 Worried when looking at the labels of products at the other ingredients.
  There is still blood in her urine with clots and she is arching up and making a noise when urinating. Vet said that this is to be expected for a while. Poo is almost getting there - was orginally very dry and small, think increased fluids has helped.
  Very peaky today - not really moving much, and urine flow is drops.
  Is all of this normal, esp the blood? Is it at all possible that she has got a kidney stone? How is this dealt with? Is recovery this long ?- would help me stop worrying as I think that I am going to lose her.
  Not wanting to eat fresh veg, hay etc but have got low calcium lists.
  Long term is there any additions to her diet that will help?
  Please let me know your suggestions based on your experience. All much appreciated.
  Many thanks,
  Suzanne

Original Post – 18 Feb

Hi,

   I am seeing the vet at 10am today (currently 1am) and I am hoping

that someone is online and will be able to help. I have printed off

some articles to read, but there is so much information.

   Doris is a five-year female guinea, who has suffered from cystitis

on and off, and bladder sludge (I didn?t realise that bladder sludge

could lead to bladder stones, but do now).

   I came back from holiday to discover that she was in a bad way,

barely able to urinate. The vet kept her in the next day and operated,

removing a substantial bladderstone on Thurs 8 Feb. She was and still

is on 0.5ml of Baytril twice a day.  Things were going ok until Mon 12

when some stitches gave way and her intestines bulged out inside her.

She was operated on again and given tape/stitches used in dogs, so it

wouldn?t give way. She was given a drug to stimulate her guts and

again the following day Tues 13 and Thurs 15. I have also started

giving her two drops of Metacam for pain relief since Thurs 15.

   After the first op, she was urinating freely albeit with a lot of

blood and some clotting. I was told that this would go after a while,

and it is getting there over the last couple of days.

   My main concern is that she was eating, showing an interest in food

and starting to move around her home after the first op. However she

is not doing this at all after the second op. I am still syringe

feeding her every few hours (2nd op on 12th, now 18th).  Although she

will eat some dried hay/veg whilst syringing, she is not moving out

from her igloo at all, or eating/drinking by herself. The urine output

has decreased and feeling grainy (the vet said that the bladder had a

lot of sludge that they flushed out ? so I am baffled why it is like

this). She is in pain, arching her back up on all fours, with her ears

pulled right back when urinating and when pooing ? which only goes

half way out (not sure if this is normal, and gradually drops?). The

poo itself has become stringed with mucus today. Not normal size etc

but I was expecting this from the syringe feeding. She is depressed

and obviously not feeling good at all.

   Questions  The vet has not analysed the urine, blood or the

bladderstone- should I request this?

   (I have the stone in a plastic test tube? will it still be fresh

enough to be analysed?)

   Things are not getting better as time goes on, which is worrying

me. Am I expecting too much too soon? How long does it normally take

to recover?

   How can Doris have sludge, reduced urine flow if the bladderstone

was removed and bladder flushed?

   Should I ask for Bactrim (Septrin) instead of Baytril?

   Should I ask for polycitra?(does this break up sludge?)(Is this potassium citrate?

   I will look up low calcium food, but if anyone can direct me to a

list, or give some definite veggies to avoid that would be really

helpful.

   Any other advice or questions that I should ask the vet would be

much appreciated.

Thanks,Suzanne