[Gpdd] [MISCELLANEOUS] Rodney's Travel Journal Part 2

Hala Annette annettehala at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 27 14:41:57 EST 2007

In the weeks/days before leaving we got new cage fencing, water bottle, zip ties, clear plastic sheet, bag of grass, and box of food. We also prepared the kennel. The kennel came with a large piece of absorbent furry fleece. My sister sewed two fleece pockets from the material and put velcro on the bottoms. A small doggy diaper would fit folded in half inside the pocket. She also sewed a cover for the kennel from dark blue cotton. It was light weight enough to let air and a little light in. We chose dark blue so it would be inconspicuous. There was a slit in the top for the handle and the front had a velcro flap. Rodney took trips in the kennel for about six months before leaving. He could stay in the kennel for 9 hours with no problem. We left him in it overnight once about a month before leaving. I printed Live Animal in three languages and stuck it to the sides and top. We printed a double sided picture of Rodney that said, "My Name is Rodney," laminated it, and zip tied
 it to the kennel handle. I also printed copies for my sister and I to carry in our purses. We put a leather luggage tag and an airline luggage tag with our US address on the kennel as well. I printed four red arrows with "UP" on them and stuck them on all four corners of the kennel. Two days before flying I called the airline to confirm the reservation and find out if any other animals were on the flight. It was good I called because they were missing some information about the kennel size and what kind of animal was flying. Fortunately for us there weren’t any other animals scheduled for the flight. We also went to the vet and got our health certificate signed.

  To be continued