[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Re: Lotje Bleeding

Dr Kay Dudman kay.dudman at londonmet.ac.uk
Wed Feb 28 09:43:37 EST 2007

Dear Mieke

Thank you for the bladderstone info.

It sounds to me as though Lotje is having trouble with her uterus.  With
thin patches in her coat, it could be ovarian cysts (my Vet is able to
drain these for my Patchouli pig without anaesthetic), or it could be
something like a pyometrium (like an abscess in the uterus).  If it is the
latter, Lotje will need to have surgery to be spayed.  Ask your Vet to use
isoflurane plus O2 as the anaesthetic, this is MUCH safer than the
injectable anaesthetics like domitor/ketamine, valium/ketamine.

If the blood was caused by the bladder stones it would be bright red and
come with her urine; from your description it doesn't sound like this.

If your vet does an X-ray, they might find that Lotje's pubic bones have
started to part (as if she were about to give birth); this would be a sign
that it is trouble in the uterus, so she would need to be spayed.  My
Felicity had a pyometrium, had an emergency ovario-hysterectomy (i.e.
spay) and did very well afterwards.  I took the week off work to look
after her, but all I really needed to do was change her bedding frequently
during the day to make sure that she didn't have urine stinging her tummy.
She was absolutely fine.

Best wishes

Kay