[Gpdd] HEALTH Piggy with diarrhoea.

Penny piggyfriends at tesco.net
Sat Jan 6 09:10:54 EST 2007

Pat,
So sorry to read about Guinevere's illness. I have been lucky never to have had a piggy who had antibiotic-induced diarrhoea but there is a lot of info on GuineaLynx

    http://www.guinealynx.com/diarrhea.html

My Richardson's "Diseases of Domestic GPs." gives different advice. She says that subcut injections are safer than oral antibiotics in piggies that suffer in this way and recommends a probiotic. e.g. live yoghurt ( to which GuineaLynx says no ) or Avipro. She adds that the uptake of essential vitamins in the gut is also likely to be upset and recommends that a vitamin supplement is given during the course of anitbiotics and during the recovery period.

If she were my piggy, I would stop the antibiotics for a few days to see if the diarrhoea cleared up, syringe in Vit C and probiotic. In England I use Bio-Lapis from Protexin, which comes in a little sachet and can be dissolved in a little water. You can always go back on the antibiotics after a few days but this would give her gut a chance to settle.

If her diarrhoea is not caused by the antibiotic, I would try liquid Immodium (0.8ml). A second dose can be given after 8 hours if needed.

It is difficult to avoid runny droppings when piggies are being syringe fed anyway as there is not enough fibre in anything that we can use that can compare with their normal intake of hay.

I know how hard it can be to syringe feed or give meds to a reluctant piggy. Sometimes new arrivals have to be started on meds as soon as they get here and often they are unused to being handled and freak out. It is upsetting to see a piggy scared like this but the meds or syringe feed has to go in. I towel wrap them firmly to keep their little legs out of the way (My Rodentologist always uses a pillowcase for this) and try to be gentle but firm with them. I have found that during the course of meds/syringe feeding a nervous piggy can become used to being handled and is much calmer when it is all over.

Please don't feel like an ogre!! It has to be done and hopefully Guinevere will be a happy, healthy piggy again soon.

I'm assuming that you are in the US so hope that someone in your country can help with useful advice regarding what you can use there.

Good luck with Guinevere. Do let us know how she gets on.

Best wishes from Penny and the Piggyfriends.