[Gpdd] HEALTH: Penny is recuperating

DFHAKES at aol.com DFHAKES at aol.com
Sat Jan 6 15:57:27 EST 2007

Penny is recuperating from emergency surgery.  On Wednesday night I  picked
her up to let her out for her evening exercise and felt something on her
bottom.  I thought it was a huge poo clump but it looked like a kalamata  olive,
only pinkish-purple.  I thought that she prolapsed her rectum.

Of course it was 8:30 pm, long after vet clinics closed.  I called  Adobe
Animal Clinic near San Fran, and I will be forever grateful to a vet tech  named
Chris who advised me to get her to the emergency clinic and to keep the
"nugget" moist with KY jelly (something everyone should have in their first aid
kit).  After a pain shot, they tried three times to push the nugget back  in.
Once it was in, they secured it with a suture.

The next day, her regular exotic vet examined her.  It wasn't her  rectum but
a mass in her vagina.  Now the nugget wouldn't come out and they  sent me
home to wait for it.  Well, Friday afternoon it popped out and Dr.  Lightfoot
took it out.  I'm glad that we did not have to do any internal  surgery because
Penny is about six years old.

It's huge - but in a shape that resembles a benign polyp vs a cancerous
tumor.  We won't know for certain until the pathology comes back on  Friday.  She
came home yesterday with some Metacam & Baytril.  I  kept her separated from
the other two girls so she could have a good nights  sleep.  Penny rested and
ate well and today is reunited with her little  adopted girls.

Regards,

Dana Felice
Chapter Manager
Tampa Bay House  Rabbit Society

Please check out our rabbit information and lists of  adoptable rabbits
at:_www.tampabayhrs.org_ (http://www.tampabayhrs.org/)
http://wwww.tampabayhrs.petfinder.com  (check out our new Petfinder address!)

"It doesn't matter what the  kids say. Rabbits are not disposable like a box
of cereal or a Disney video.  They WILL get tired of the rabbits and go on to
the next toy. YOU will have to  deal with the consequences. Unfortunately,
most people deal with the situation  by DUMPING their rabbits on someone else.
Ultimately, it is the bunny that pays  for your inability to say NO."