[Gpdd] HEALTH: Piggy with Diarrhea and Piggy with Constipation

dukejan1 at aol.com dukejan1 at aol.com
Sat Jan 6 22:48:33 EST 2007

Pat,
I'm currently having the exact opposite problem with Lily.  But I've been reading lots of books on piggie digestive systems and remember reading that chamomile tea helps soothe piggies with diarrhea (Cooled tea, of course).  You may need to see a vet to make sure she is hydrated.

As for Lily, she is not pooping.  We went to the vet yesterday and she was X-rayed--nothing abnormal, no blockages, no distended stomach, no indications of excess gas--except she had a very full stomach.  Her appetite remains good (she's not interested in her Cavy Cuisine, but veggies, fruits, and hay are still taken eagerly.  Where she's putting it all is a mystery to me.  I'm trying to make sure she's gets plenty of romaine lettuce for hydration and some apple peel to help the process along.  She was given subcutaneous fluids (which also may be required for a pig with diarrhea), and some meds to help motility in the digestive tract.  She's still not pooping much--21 pellets in almost 3 days.  (Yes, I'm keeping an inventory).  Any one out there have an experience with a constipated pig, which I understand is quite rare?

Janet