[Gpdd] [HEALTH] <diarhoea>

Janneke Staaks jannekestaaks at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 9 06:13:09 EST 2007

my yaya does get diarrhea from antibiotics. Currently we don't give her
antibiotics anymore when she's sick unless she's really really sick. (when
we give her antibiotics she get bloody diarrhea, it's not nice). Currently
we avoid getting diarrhea by doing two things:

pig psychology: yaya likes pellets more than hay and when she has diarrhea
it's important that she eats fibres. we first solved this by giving her her
own cage with lots of hay, easy to reach (close to her snugglespot and less
pellets) also taking her house out helped because she can be very protective
of her house and doesn't come out to drink. but i really wanted yaya back
with the others and i also wanted her to eat more hay permanently so then i
had a close look in my cage. I noticed that i had three pellet bowls and
just one (huge) hay rack. so i changed this. Now i have more places with hay
and just one bowl with pellets (wich is enough for all the piggies btw).
Here is where the pig psychology comes in, yaya is lowest in rank. if
someone else is eating she sometimes cannot and has to find something else.
so that might have been part of the problem with the hay rack.now she cannot
always eat pellets and goes to one of the stacks of hay.so instead of me
being her dietician, she had four pig dieticians.

chinese herbs: she takes a tablet of gastro every day (1 half two times) and
i used to have her on protexin. The gastro seems to work, it's
anti-inflammatory and some other beneficial things for her guts which i
cannot remember right now. when i try to take her dosage down she
immediately starts having poo troubles.

grtz & wkz
Janneke