[Gpdd] HEALTH. Augustus. Runny Eye.

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Wed Jan 10 05:16:19 EST 2007

Hello Jodi,

What a worrying combination of symptoms. I can't think of anything that would produce all three but I have an idea about the eye problem.

Presumably your vet has checked for a foreign body in Augustus's eye but has he looked for a blocked tear duct? This will cause a continually runny eye with wet fur underneath and some debris that collects at the front of the eye.

I have treated the occasional piggy for this and the treatment is fairly simple. The blockage needs to be flushed out with Optrex ( same stuff as for people ). Wrap your piggy in a towel and lay him on his side. Put a couple of drops of Optrex into the offending eye then massage just forward and below the eye. The Optrex should then drain into the nasal passage and this often makes the piggy sneeze. Repeat a couple more times to thoroughly clean out the duct. The sneezing can be quite violent and I am wondering if Augustus has sneezed and broken a blood vessel when the duct has partially cleared by itself. This is a shot in the dark but it is possible.

Hopefully he has merely knocked his foot and by the time that you read this he will be OK. You are lucky to have such a caring vet and I hope that he/she will be able to sort out the foot problem.

The Piggyfriends send their love to Augustus.

Penny.