[Gpdd] [Health] Discharge from eye and nose

Dr Kay Dudman kay.dudman at londonmet.ac.uk
Wed Jan 10 11:47:35 EST 2007

Dear Jodi

Sorry to hear about Gussie's trouble with his eye and nose.  I found
Elliott, one of my piggies, kept having eye trouble.  Elliott's eye would
water, so we tried eye drops (fucithalmic); this worked for a while, then
the watering started again.  The Vet tried something else as eye drops,
and the same thing happened again.  We thought maybe there was something
stuck in the eye that we couldn't see, but no.  So then my Vet did a
biopsy of Elliott's third eyelid. (I know Guinea Lynx says there is no
evidence for a third eyelid, but I asked my Vet to show me, and it is down
by the tear duct, towards the nose; you don't normally see it).  The
results of the biopsy came back to say that the tissue was very inflammed
and it looked like an ocular auto-immune problem.  So, since then,
Elliott has been on Maxitrol eye drops (which contain a steroid); firstly
four drops a day, then down to three, then two, and he is coming to the
end of two months on just one drop a day.  There has been a tremendous
improvement.  Maybe Gussie has the same problem?

If you'd like your Vet to get in touch with my Vet, email me privately and
I will give you his email address.

Kay