[Gpdd] [MISC] My wonderful Vets

Dr Kay Dudman kay.dudman at londonmet.ac.uk
Wed Jan 10 12:26:18 EST 2007

I just wanted to share with everybody about my wonderful Vets.  Over the
Christmas period they put the animals first, as they do throughout the
year.  My usual Vet is Simon, the Practice Principal, and I don't know
what I would do without him and all the staff at the practice.

Christmas Eve (Sunday): down to the Vet as Bess had blood in her urine;
Simon, my usual Vet, wasn't on duty, but he was in the practice and told
the Vet on duty I had arrived.  No further blood in urine, so decided to
take urine sample to send off for analysis.

Christmas Day: rang the emergency service as William had blood in his
urine; they got Simon to ring me at home.  He remembered that I had
been in the day before, checked what had happened with Bess and asked me
to bring William in the next day (checking that he would be all right
overnight).

Boxing Day: took William in to see Simon, who decided to keep him in for
an X-ray.  The urine sample showed a lot of blood in the urine.  I hadn't
brought any food with me as I wasn't expecting William to be kept in,
although I had already fed him that morning.  I went home to get some of
William's food (it's not that they don't have any at the Vets', I just
like my piggies to have what they are used to) and was back within the
hour, only to find that the X-rays had already been taken and a diagnosis
made!  William needed bladder stone surgery.

Wednesday: back down to the Vet with Miles, who was having some trouble
with his eye.  Saw Neil, who also brought William out for me to see.  Neil
showed me William's X-rays, and explained that there was a lot of gritty
stuff in the bladder that had been flushed out, and there also seemed to
be a stone in the caecum (part of the intestine) that didn't seem to be
causing problems, but they would check on it again later with a further
X-ray.  William was doing fine, but needed to stay in a few more days.
Fucithalmic eye drops for Miles.

Thursday: visited William in the hospital area; able to cuddle him and
sing piggy songs with him...I was there for 45 minutes.

Friday: William discharged; due back on Tuesday for a postoperative
check-up.  William is very lively and glad to be home.

Weekend of the New Year...no visits to the Vet!

Tuesday 2nd January: back to see Simon with Elliott, George and William.
William gets the all-clear, special stitches have been used so they don't
need to be removed.  Elliott's eye is doing fine (he had a biopsy of his
third eyelid a while back).  George had lost some weight suddenly, but
otherwise seems fine, so gets some Metacam.  I was concerned that I had
not been able to get his usual dry mix over Christmas, and perhaps the
change had upset his tummy.  Return tomorrow to check progress.

Wednesday 3rd January: back to see Neil with George.  Teeth checked and
seem to be OK.  The Metacam has helped as he is eating better and has
started to put on some weight again.  George gets some more metacam and a
shot of metocloprimide to help his gut.  Review on Friday.

Friday 5th January: back to see Simon with George.  George's weight is
improving and there is no sign of any problem.  Get the result of George's
biopsy (third eyelid, from just before Christmas) and it is all clear.
Get the result of Bess's urine analysis, also all clear.

Somehow, "thank you" doesn't seem to be enough for all that they do for my
piggies.  They always make me feel that my piggies are their only patients
when I'm there.  I couldn't ask for better care.

Kay