[Gpdd] HEALTH: Types of Stones

merle.jaffe at thomson.com merle.jaffe at thomson.com
Wed Jan 10 14:03:42 EST 2007

Lucky is recovering nicely  from his second stone surgery in 18 months
(still crying a little bit when he poops, though not consistently).
Anyhow, the analysis on this stone came back as a calcium carbonate
stone, which I believe is the most common type.  I had been told that
his first stone had been a calcium oxalate stone, but the vet who did
the most recent  surgery (a different one from the one who did the first
surgery) was interested in seeing the results.  I got them faxed to him
and he said that in fact the report says that the first stone was
"amorphous silicates" and that he has never heard of a guinea pig with
that type of stone. Has anyone else ever had a piggie with a stone of
that type? (I did some research on the web and dogs and cats can get
that type.)

Merle, slave to Lucky