[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Fidget's gaining weight, yippee!

DebJonSara at aol.com DebJonSara at aol.com
Thu Jan 11 11:58:17 EST 2007

When I post about individual piggies, it almost always seems to be to  report
an illness, problem or departure to The Bridge, so I thought I should  post
that Fidget, about whose weight loss and excessive thirst I posted back on
16th November 2006, SEEMS to be recovering! His weight went down to 857g on 21st
December (1.89lbs), and I really thought I was going to lose him, as he
weighed  1250g (2.75lbs) last July. But this month he has gone gradually back up to
1080g  (2.38lbs), so I am hopeful.

I wish I could say I'd found some magic diagnosis and treatment. But I have
only done three things. First, I rewormed him, and all the Dolly Mixtures, on
22nd November - they's been done in April, but Cavies Castle recommended
doing  them again. Second, I put a second food dish into their cage. I really
didn't  think there was a problem, because every time I looked, Fidget was eating
from  the food dish or drinking water. But he and Scrabble were getting
through the  whole dish between their two meal times, so I thought they needed
extra. Maybe I  should point out at this point that Scrabble would be a LAPS
candidate, and this  morning weighed in at his heaviest, 1450g (3.19lbs). Now I am
wondering whether  Fidget was ONLY getting to the food when I was watching, as
Scrabble is a shy  chappy and tends to hide when I am around. Possibly Fidget
was having a problem  getting to the food dish when I was not watching because
Scrabble hogged  it?

The third change I made was to put hay in the cage with them as well as in
the "rick" attached to the side of the cage. They seem to eat more of it when
it  is actually inside the cage, although it also gets messy of course!

The excessive drinking seems to have stopped as well. I am SO hoping this
means he is well on the mend. Please can everyone keep their fingers crossed for
 him! It would be so nice to have a happy ending story for once!

Has anyone else experienced a similar episode with a piggie, ie excessive
drinking and weight loss followed by apparent spontaneous return to normal? Or
do you think it could be the reworm - although his weight continued to drop
for  over a month after the reworm?

Wheeks to everyone's piggies

Debbie