[Gpdd] CARE. Coriander and Cilantro and Fidget

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Thu Jan 11 14:15:20 EST 2007

Hi Debbie,

After reading many posts from our American friends about cilantro, I was determined to find out what it was. I found more than enough websites telling me about it but every one that I looked at said that cilantro and coriander were the same thing, cilantro being the leaf and coriander the seed. Now I hate any kind of spicy food, so I have never grown coriander but it sometimes turns up amongst the veggie leaves saved for my piggies by a local farmer who prepares food for restaurants. Over the years, there have been a few piggies willing to try the coriander but none have enjoyed it to the same extent as the American piggies.

I was pleased, therefore, to read your post, and hope that someone knows more about cilantro that we do. I would hate for the Piggyfriends to miss out on a treat.

I was delighted to read about Fidget's improvement and weight gain as you have been so unlucky with the Dolly Mixtures lately. I don't know if the worming could be reason for the improvement but since I have been able to buy wormer here, I have had far fewer illnesses among the Piggyfriends. It may just be a coincidence but I will continue to worm them every 3 months, when they have their Ivomec. I used to have trouble buying Panacur as my vet doesn't deal with farm animals ( for those digesters who don't know, this is a sheep wormer ) and didn't have it in stock but since discovering Cavies Castle, they have been able to supply my herd with this and more recently Valbazan.

I always have hay in my pens - yes it is messy but it is more readily available to all the piggies that way. I have sometimes had up to eight piggies in a pen and this avoids pushy pigs hogging the hay rack.

We are keeping our paws crossed for Fidget.

Lots of love and wheeks from the Piggyfriends,

Penny.