[Gpdd] (Health) Deworming

Stacy Harvey ckrtsqrl2000 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 12 13:41:11 EST 2007

There is a type of worm that can infect the cecum of guinea pigs; if it is anything like the ones in other herbivores, these worms take the nutrients out of the digested food in the cecum that the piggy would otherwise be getting. It is usually found in piggies who live outdoors. I have just recently read about this in parasitology--unfortunately, what I have just written is all I know about the subject.

  So then I have a question: How do you deworm guinea pigs? I have seen Panacur mentioned more than once, and I believe it is available online where I get my Ivermectin. What is the dosage? I know Peter Gurney said that piggies should be dewormed regularly but the vets that I have talked to don't know anything about it. Are there any caveats about worming, e.g. should it not be done in elderly pigs, stone pigs, etc? Can Ivermectin and Panacur be given at the same time? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

  Stacy and the Squee Squad