[Gpdd] Health: Water choices

joan fagalde momcat1000 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 17 01:03:15 EST 2007

Hi.  For what it's worth the way distilled water was explained to me years ago by a doctor was that when it has been distilled it is dead, inert water with no chemicals or minerals or anything in it.  When you drink it it tends to leach chemicals from your body.  This is why it is good for irons and coffee pots but not living bodies.

  I'm sure your municipal water is fine for your furbabies but, that said, I can't stand our water so I use a Britta Water Filter.  Since I don't like our water that is the only water my Bug has ever had as I won't give her what I consider terrible.  Britta does a good job of filtering out the chemicals our water agency adds.  Some piggies drink lots of water and others, like my Bug, won't touch it.  She gets her moisture from her lettuce.  She used to drink a little bit each day but suddenly decided she just wasn't going to drink ever again and she hasn't.

  Good idea to see what your vet has to say though.  Good luck next week.

  Joan, slave to The Lady Bug

hk fox <gandhfox1 at earthlink.net> wrote:
The GPDD moderators frequently reject messages that do not follow
these guidelines:
A lack of a Topic label is the most common reason for message rejection. Please use a Topic Label (HEALTH, CARE, ANNOUNCEMENT, BEHAVIOR, RESCUE, BREEDING, SILLY, PIGLETS, MISC. or VIRTUAL) and descriptive subject. More information on Topic use, post restrictions and permissions can be found at http://www.gpdd.org/topics.html

Postings to the digest must conform to the rules stated at
http://www.gpdd.org/guidelines.html

Please consult the GPDD FAQ at http://www.gpdd.org/faq.html for
a list of commonly asked questions.
All material posted is copyright The Guinea Pigs' Daily Digest, and may not be reproduced in whole or in part in any media - printed or electronic - without written permission of the administrators.Again I want to thank everyone for their kind words for my Princess Jellybean who crossed the Bridge on New Year's Day. She was my beloved girl and I miss her terribly. Unfortunately, a week later I also lost my little Brownie Pig. Brownie was a wonderful pig who chirped, danced in his cuddle-cup, and came to me like a puppy whenever I came near. The last time he was at the vet, when she let him loose he ran right to me and up my shirt. She said that she'd never seen a piggy do that! Brownie, I miss you hugely!

My question is what kind of water should piggies have? Both of these died from stones and both drank tons of water. I have never had a piggy with stones in all the years I have had them, but few drank water like these did. They could both empty a full bottle a day and ask for more. My sister says that she gives her cats only bottled water, and distilled at that. I also read on GuineaLynx that we should avoid distilled water, but not why. I have switched my 2 remaining boys to bottled water and they have vet appointments for xrays next week and plan to ask her re: water.

I am just wondering what you think about tap vs bottled water and what do you serve your guys? I keep thinking that maybe there is a connection between the stones and the tap water minerals, etc. I am anxious to hear what you all think about this issue.

Many thanks,
Giki and the Florida Boys
Remembering all my babies at the Bridge._______________________________________________
Gpdd mailing list