[Gpdd] HEALTH. Phoebe's abscess

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Thu Jan 18 09:34:08 EST 2007

So sorry to read that little Phoebe has had an abscess.

I have dealt with the occasional one with the Piggyfriends but have never used a compress in this situation. I have read somewhere of one being recommended to ripen the abscess prior to lancing but not afterwards.

Once the abscess has been lanced, which in Phoebe's case she has already done, it is just a matter of cleaning up the wound and carefully squeezing out the pus. There is usually an astonishing amount of this. After the initial cleaning out I keep the wound clean with cottonwool dipped in a saline solution and keep squeezing out the pus as it collects until it has all gone. Once this has happened the wound will heal up of its own accord.

I wouldn't worry about trying to use a compress but concentrate on keeping the wound clean and draining out the pus. Hopefully, within a few days, she will be as good as new.

Give Phoebe a cuddle from us.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.