[Gpdd] MISC: Singing Mouse Article and Endive

merle.jaffe at thomson.com merle.jaffe at thomson.com
Thu Jan 18 15:20:51 EST 2007

Sorry that the link to the article isn't working; for those really
interested in reading it I have provided the title below.  The journal
(PLoS Biology ) is an open access journal so with a little Googling you
should be able to get directly to the article (Music to Her Ears? Male
Mice Sing an Ultrasonic Tune. PLoS Biol 3(12): e420).

Leah, I'm now worried about endive. After Lucky's first stone, I did all
my research and thought that endive would be a good veggie for him (he
won't touch peppers or lettuce).  According to all the charts it have a
good calcium:phosphorus ration and is low oxalate. The perfect (if not
expensive) solution for a stone piggy. Lucky's first stone was
"amorphous silicates" (the vet claims not to have seen that in piggy
before), but this most recent one was a carbonate stone.  Granted ,
between the first stone and the second one I had let some goodies slip
back into his diet -- namely dandelion greens, parsley etc. Wish I knew
for sure. I'm thinking of moving to filtered water.  Has anyone ever
thought about whether the hay has been sprayed with anything in the
fields (e.g., pesticides) that might be a problem for stone piggies?

Merle, slave to Lucky (Pet of the Day, April 19, 2006 )