[Gpdd] [ANNOUNCE] Introduction - new member & new piggy Part 2

Muddy Rats muddy.rats at gmail.com
Fri Jan 19 15:24:12 EST 2007

Hi again everyone!

I'd like to thank everyone for welcoming myself & George to the list and
emailing me.  This sounds like a wonderful place to belong.

I've been rather upset to the point of being sick the past few days.
Someone contacted me and wanted to place 2 adult piggies with me.  If
only they had contacted me a week earlier, before my daughter brought
home George.  Doesn't that figure!  Well to make matters worse, my
daughter is an only child, homeschooled by me, just had *her* first pet
(her hamster, Fatso) cross over the bridge on New Year's Day... so she
wants a pet she can love, cuddle and play with to help ease her
loneliness... plus a piggy has been a planned pet for 2 years now, but
we ended up with hamsters.

George is still spooked.  My daughter, Dani, has no patience, but was
doing pretty good after a week of explaining over, and over, that George
needs to adjust.  Then she started apologizing for not listening to me,
and not getting a rescue piggy who needed a home and love.  She decided
she would rather have a piggy who she can pet and get out of their cage
vs. torturing George.  I'm torn.  I am a firm believer that a pet is a
family member and with us for life, unless there's a crisis or
emergency.  I also don't believe in buying pets from stores, other than
fish, and have always done some sort of animal rescue until a few years ago.

Dani wants to take George back to the pet shop.  I'm sort of against
doing that, but in some ways... if it teaches my daughter a life lesson
and spares her future kids from this sort of thing... it can be a good
thing... but I find it extremely unfair to George.  The store will take
back George, and let us take another piggy since they got younger ones
in, or give us a refund.  I have told Dani if we bring back George, it
will be to get a pair of same sex piggies (I refuse to have a lonely
piggy all by himself) from the rescue or shelter who need love and a
home who are already paired off.  She's agreed, and I've lined up a ride
(as I don't have a vehicle) to take us to find a pair of piggies at the
shelters or rescue.

To further aid Dani in her decision... yesterday, against my better
judgment, but giving in to Dani's upset, I upset George terribly and
took him out of his cage.  We sat with him and pet him.  He let us pet
him, but definitely wanted to be back in his cage.  Today he's beyond
being scared to the point of dragging food into his igloo and only
coming out if he doesn't see or hear us.  If only I knew for sure that I
could bring home another boy and he and George could live happily in one
cage, I would do it... but I know that may not work out.  So I feel like
crap, and my stomach is in knots.

Thanks for listening.

Regards,
Lori