[Gpdd] [GPDD]Care: Barbers & diet

Susi Eastin ok.cavylodge at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 19 16:22:59 EST 2007

Cheryl- Congratulations!  You have a professional in your midst – JB is a barber!
  We encounter it from time to time, in piggie circles.  Unfortunately, this seems
  to suddenly pop up in your pen of long haired piggies just before a show.
  Fortunately, any judges I’ve encountered have taken this into account, but if
  up against another piggie of otherwise equal values, we would lose points.
  Oddly, our own Buster Browne, O.P., being a barber, is content to trim his
  own hair!  I had accused various others of somehow doing this through the
  wire, but it didn’t matter who I moved where!  I’ve decided he does this for
  two reasons – comfort, and to get to stay home from the shows!  He mainly
  trims (very neatly) across his rump. I can’t fault him for that.
  I don’t think anyone knows a reason for this – but it’s nothing you’re doing
  or not doing.  Just the vocation JB has chosen.  And it never seems to bother
  the piggie getting the trim!  I’ve also noticed that some seem to be groomers –
  they will immediately go to any new piggie in their midst and lick their ears
  clean.  Strange, but sweet. But don’t bother putting anything on Alex’s hair,
  I’ve never heard of anything stopping them.
  As for the diarrhea – I would seriously withhold all food except the pellets and
  hay for the time being. When this is under control, then slowly add back each
  food one at a time, in small amounts, until you see what may be causing it.
  It could be a combination, could just be some bacteria he has in his system.
  But diarrhea is very serious, so you need to take immediate action before he
  does become ill. Be sure he has a good supply of clean water all the time, and
  that the bottle is clean.  They can develop diarrhea from the most minute of
  sources.  We lost our dear Hotshot in this manner – contaminated grass from
  the yard, no one else got sick. By the time we realized he was sick, he went
  downhill so fast we couldn’t save him.  Don’t give him anything rich, including
  alfalfa, until this is corrected.  (is there something on Alex’s hair?)
  Of course, JB will not be happy with you over this, so you will have to try to
  compensate with extra cuddles, special presentation of the hay, etc. And if
  you can sneak Alex into another room for him to enjoy some treats, it might
  be easier on JB (of course, he will have parslies on his breath!).
  Good luck - let us know how it goes.
  We will keep paws crossed and say piggie prayers for all,
  Susi & the Okie Piggies
   - "pigs on ice"