[Gpdd] [HEALTH] UTI treatment

Evelyn Baker ebak at ca.inter.net
Fri Jan 19 23:16:58 EST 2007

I know too well, what it's like to take your piggy to be tested for a
bladder infection. I want to grab my guinea pig away from the vet
when this happens. Although now we have a system. As soon as I get to
the vet's office they take Phoebe to a cage with plexiglass and let
her pee on her own.

As for additional treatment. I have tried the barley water to help
with the UTI. I don't really know that it does all that much but the
guinea pig really enjoys it and always grabs the syringe from me, as
opposed to getting the medicine where she pushes the syringe away.
I'm not sure that giving cranberry juice a couple of times a week is
all that helpful in keeping infection away. Make sure Miss Zuessy
drinks lots. It will wash it out of her system. The antibiotics
should start working in 24 to 48 hours.

Evelyn and Little Phoebe