[Gpdd] [MISC] collecting a urine sample

lost nvegas lostnvegas68 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 20 15:03:05 EST 2007

There has been talk of collecting urine samples from GP's and wanted to share what the vet had me do.....Of course my coworkers thought I was a little nuts.....

  Last year I took Comet to the vet, thinking he may have diabetes or something, so the vet wanted to keep him to try and get a urine sample. Everytime they went to get a sample, Comet would pee all over the table and they would have to wait. After trying this all day, they sent him home for me to try and get a sample. They gave me some charcoal stuff you put in a cat littler box, that doesn't soak up the urine, along with vials to put it in and then a bigger urine container like you get when you go to the doctor.

  Well, Comet use to be litter boxed trained, (that stopped during vacation last summer) so I cleaned out the litter box, put the charcoal in it and waited. Well, Comet peed right in front of the box and then when he had to poo, he pushed the box out of the way and went behind it. I need to say, at this point, Comet was 85% litter boxed trained......So I started to syringe him plenty of water and sat on the floor with him until I could see his routine moving around to go potty. I immediately put him in the box....yeah.. Comet he went. I then had to carefully pour the pee into a vial, trying not to get the charcoal in it at the same time, and then put the vial into the bigger container. I couldn't take it to the vet until after school, so I had it in my fridge in my classroom. Had to warn everyone what it was, so it wouldn't get spilled.

  You know you are a furbaby lover, when you will put their pee in your classroom fridge... hey it was my fridge I will put what I want in it.......lol...

  Comet checked out ok, but the things we do for our little guys and girls......

  Janet, I hope everything works out for Isabel, we will keep her in our thoughts and prayers......

  Gwen and The Boys from Las Vegas
  Comet, Alf and Chip