[Gpdd] ANNOUNCE: George and the petstore

Cindy calliope at geeksnet.com
Sat Jan 20 15:04:41 EST 2007

Lori, although we agree with you that checking with a shelter or rescue would have been best, George is with you now, and it would be a terrible hardship for him to return to the petstore and lose the only family he has ever known.

A week is a very short time for a piggie to adjust to new surroundings.  One idea that might help is to get a short PVC tube for George.  Our Friday prefers to get out of his cage this way.  I will set the tube in his cage, he will go into the tube, and I will then gently place him on the floor for floortime.  I've also trained him to go into the tube when he is on the floor and I am ready to pick him up.  Another idea (though you probably already do this) is to gently pet him and talk or sing to him when you give him food.  That way he will associate you and your daughter with something all piggies love.  Food is definitely the way to a piggie's heart.  If he is too shy to be petted at the moment, you can still stand nearby and softly speak to him and encourage him as he is enjoying a treat.

Many rescues will let you bring your piggie to meet potential piggie pals.  Perhaps you could take George to a rescue or shelter to see if there is another male piggie he likes.  If so, you could adopt that piggie, keep George, and both George and the new piggie will have companionship.  You'd be sparing George a return to the petstore and also helping a rescue piggie at the same time.  In addition, having friends of their own species will help piggies adjust to new surroundings.

Hope this helps.  Please let us know what you decide.  We are crossing our fingers that George remains a member of your family.

Cindy, Sunshine, Tumbleweed, and Friday