[Gpdd] [CARE] Food Questions

Muddy Rats muddy.rats at gmail.com
Sun Jan 21 21:37:53 EST 2007

Thanks everyone for all the replies to this thread.  I didn't mean to
sound like a clueless twit... I'm just looking to settle some of the
conflicting information I've found on the various websites over the
years.  Some sites say popcorn is ok (yes, I know about the piggies
popcorning and George was popcorning & wheeking the other morning),
others say don't feed them popcorn.  Some sites say cruciferous veggies
are a no no because they give the piggies gas.   Other sites say it's ok
in moderation, or peel the stem first.  While there are other sites that
say it's completely ok.  George seems to like broccoli and I haven't
heard him blow wind out of either end yet.  Then there's the no seeds on
some sites, while I've found some mention that sunflower seeds are ok.
I went thru this when I first got started with birds years ago.  I just
want to be informed and safe.  I also like being able to feed my
critters what I have on hand, or are preparing for Dani and me... but I
also don't mind buying special yummies for the critters as well.

Have no fear, George is on timothy hay, timothy based pellet, plain
water, fresh veggies with vitamin C, and a lil bit of fresh fruit with
some vitamin C as well.  Treats have been a veggie or a small piece of
fruit.  I didn't even bother buying any packaged junk treats because I
know better.  George doesn't seem to care for the leaf lettuce that I
tried with him today.  The green bell pepper was a hit - he yanked it
right out of my hand!  I have to find some endive this week, as I don't
want George eating too much kale, and I don't have any left.

Regards,
Lori