[Gpdd] MISC: Why the guinea pig?

Marty trails18 at alltel.net
Tue Jan 23 22:37:44 EST 2007

Why the guinea pig?

My junior year in college I had a roommate for one quarter who was just
there for that one quarter to learn English. She was from South Korea.
After she left I had a vacancy in my dorm room.  I worked nights at the
front desk of the dorm and one of my coworkers, Denise,  was unhappy with
her roomate.  She asked me if she could move in with me and I told her that
if it was okay with the residence hall staff it was okay with me.

When Denise got settled in our room she asked me what I would think about a
pet in our room... Nothing was allowed but fish but she had a guinea pig at
home that she had just gotten and she wanted her piggie with her at college.
I didn't know much about the little critters but I love animals and thought
a small animal would be pretty easy to hide if necessary.  Denise's brother
also had a guinea pig and the pet store told the two of them that both pigs
were boars so they lived together. Well, this black and white furball moved
into our room and into my heart.  Denise named "him" Guinifred and every
time I'd come in from class or wherever the first thing I'd have to do is
cuddle the piggie.  I loved to turn on my stereo while holding Guinifred
because she would close her eyes and purr with the music. Hide?  HA!
Guinifred was the wheeeeeekiest thing! "He" kept getting fatter and
fatter-one day Denise said what if it's a female and what if it's pregnant?!
A few days later, sometime between 2 a.m. when Denise went to bed and 5 a.m.
when I got up, four little piggies joined Guinifred in HER box.  I was
amazed at their alertness and how  much like their mom they were. Denise
told me I could have one, but she got too attached and kept them all.

After I graduated from college I was missing having a fuzzball around.  I
told my mom this and she said, "Why don't you get a guinea pig?"  No need to
ask me twice!  I went to Meijer and came home with a TSW boar I named
Winnie.  I don't want to ever get one from Meijer again... Winnie wasn't a
healthy guy(he was only with me a little over two years  :( ) and now I know
better and have more resources to find piggies when I'm ready for more.
Right now I have my two, Sid and Tiger.

I love their little personalities (pig-alities?)  I have had four total not
counting Denise's and they each offer their own special things.  Winnie was
a snuggler and a music lover.  Blaze was my speedy little super-pig who
loved to run around and scare me half to death by jumping off of my shoulder
until I learned that I had to keep a hand on him at all times. Sid is my
wheeeeeeeeeeeeker. He is the loudest piggie I've had. He loves to be right
over my heart... I'm not sure if he is comforted by its beating or what...
Tiger is another snuggler and a kissy pig.  He loves to get in my face and
lick my nose!