[Gpdd] MISC - Why the guinea pig

grace ramp gracetheface at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 24 10:00:48 EST 2007

Six years ago my niece Christine came to live with me to go to college in New York.  She is a complete pet lover and begged for a pet almost from the day she arrived.  At the time, she was going to school and working and she wanted a dog.  She wasn't around to care for one and I was not able to do it.  We considered a cat (but I'm allergic), fish (boring), birds (no fun either) and I suggeted a guinea pig.  I had seen a Peruvian years ago in a pet store and thought it looked just like a little puppy.  We decided on a pig and this was before we knew anything about rescues, etc. so she went to the pet store and brought back Pork Chop who instantly became the center of attention.  We had her for about a year and saw all the poor pigs in Maryland who had been rescued so we took Oreo from that seizure and have two pigs now.  Christine has since married and left my home, but her legacy to me has been the pigs.  I have them now and I don't know what I would do without them.  I
 moved them from her room into the living room and I sit on the couch watching TV and talking to them.  I love to yell:  "Whos the Piggy!!!" and Pork Chop's little head will whip around and look at me.  Oreo as usual, completely ignores me and continues doing whatever she is doing.  I never thought I could get so attached to a "rodent" but I have.  They have personalities just like any other pet and are affectionate and really very funny at times.  I'm so glad I let Christine bully me into getting them.  And to all of you who have lost their little friends, my heart goes out to you.  I know it it is like losing one of the family.  I read the postings and sometimes I have to stop because I'm tearing up.
  Grace, Oreo and Pork Chop