[Gpdd] Misc: Why a Guinea Pig?

joan fagalde momcat1000 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 24 12:43:59 EST 2007

The decision to get a GP was, on my part, somewhat clinical.  I had recently come to the end of a 26 year marriage and since I don't like being completely alone decided to get a pet of some sort.  I had been the Beta fish routine and they had both died.  (I've since found out that in these days this is quite common; over and indiscriminate breeding!)

  At the time there was a no pet policy in the units where I live, but since I'm the manager here I had to figure a way to get around this and not upset all the tenants who wanted cats/dogs.  When I was a young child I had two hamsters who were adorable but really didn't live long enough for my purposes.  Remember at this point this was all mental images.  I hadn't looked at any animal yet.

  I went on the Internet and did some looking around and decided that a Guinea Pig might meet my requirements.  I have since learned that there is a tremendous amount of really bad information out there but I didn't know that!  To make a long story short I was in one of my local pet stores, not PetStupid or one of those, but one I had dealt with before with a cat I used to have.  I was only looking at supplies etc. just to see what I would be dealing with since I have space constraints.  They had about 5 Guinea Pig babies including one mostly black with a split white face.  They were all adorable and I put my hand in the cage and of course they all ran into the pigloo!  The last one in was the little b/w and she was not afraid of me but rather had an "how dare you try and touch me!" expression on her face when she looked back at me.

  The Bugster is an alpha female and we've had adventures because of it but I've been her slave ever since.  She is over 4 1/2 years old and we've grown accustomed to each other.  I adore her.

  Joan, slave to The Lady Bug