[Gpdd] Miscellanous regarding teddy

joan fagalde momcat1000 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 24 16:01:27 EST 2007

Hi Mary.  I agree with Carole.  As discouraging as it may be, it sounds as though your Teddy need to see a very Cavy-Savy vet and soon.  Guinea Pigs do not "sigh" and rarely snore.  My Lady Bug is going on 5 years old and has never snored.  There are only two things in my experience that will cause any kind of involuntary movement of a pigs head or body.  Mites and a neurological problem.  I suspect, considering the store you got him from, it's mites.  Ivermectin is the best treatment and something you can do at home.  As long as a pig is weaned, it can be used with no bad effects.  You don't say what you have Teddy bedded on.  Be very careful of the wood type beddings as some can be toxic and definitely cause an alergy.

  The PetCo vet has a contract.  How long do you think that contract would exist if they kept doing expensive treatments and backcharging?  Not long plus, I suspect this vet doesn't have a clue about Guinea Pigs.  Unfortunately, this is not uncommon.  Many "small animal" vets don't.  It's just easier for PetCo to say "so sorry" and replace your piggy with another one.

  Please get your Teddy to a responsible vet.

  Joan, slave to The Lady Bug
Mary Mentz <marynwill2006 at earthlink.net> wrote:
The GPDD moderators frequently reject messages that do not follow
these guidelines:
A lack of a Topic label is the most common reason for message rejection. Please use a Topic Label (HEALTH, CARE, ANNOUNCEMENT, BEHAVIOR, RESCUE, BREEDING, SILLY, PIGLETS, MISC. or VIRTUAL) and descriptive subject. More information on Topic use, post restrictions and permissions can be found at http://www.gpdd.org/topics.html

Postings to the digest must conform to the rules stated at
http://www.gpdd.org/guidelines.html

Please consult the GPDD FAQ at http://www.gpdd.org/faq.html for
a list of commonly asked questions.
All material posted is copyright The Guinea Pigs' Daily Digest, and may not be reproduced in whole or in part in any media - printed or electronic - without written permission of the administrators.I took him to PetCo where he is under warranty they sent me to there vet who said he is just sighing which is normal and may or may not go away .The itching is a nervous tick no pun intended he has no little critters in his fur .So i let PetCo know and they were happy of course they would be or they would have to contact 4 other piggy owners about the problem he was in a very small 10 gallon aquarium with about three other cell mates when i got him his personality is coming out he tosses his food bowl around i caught him slinging his food and prancing like a horse in his cage and he is just know eating out of our hands he also shakes his little but and makes this weird noise like a helicopter going off it is so funny he only does it when i hold him just like the cooing he wont
 make any noises for daddy yet but daddy wont hold him when had a hamster pass away suddenly last month she had a stroke and he is still greiving over her i also would like to tell georges slave i am so sorry for his passing he was lucky to have you as his slave

Mary Mentz
marynwill2006 at earthlink.net
EarthLink Revolves Around You._______________________________________________
Gpdd mailing list