[Gpdd] [GPDD] Health: Drinking water report

Susi Eastin ok.cavylodge at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 25 16:51:53 EST 2007

Here's part of an article I found on dangers with our tap water.  I tried
  to trim it down as much as possible, link to the whole article is at the
  bottom.  Just thought I'd pass it along since we've been discussing
  water safety for our piggies lately . . .
  :-\

  "... who would have thought the top worry among water experts turns
  out to be rusty pipes? ... after the extensive purifying process, water
  ends up in your glass after traveling through pipes laid under city
  streets 50, 60 or 100 years ago.
  -- made mostly from iron until plastic was introduced 30 years ago --
  As they corrode and break, not only does water escape, but also
  diseases get in..." "...a substantial proportion of waterborne disease
  outbreaks.... is attributable to problems within distribution systems,"
   -in a study for the EPA released in December.
  EPA rules require that water leaving a city's water plant be tested
  for microorganisms like cryptosporidium and legionella that thrive in
  degraded water systems.
  EPA also requires tests for a slew of other contaminants, including
  lead, copper and arsenic, which can lead to any number of gastro-
  intestinal or other illnesses.
  But once water has been purged of such impurities, different
  ones can enter the water supply as it courses through miles of
  old pipe."
  Christine Stebbins
  http://www.prisonplanet.com/print.php

  Susi