[Gpdd] [CARE] <chirping>

Janneke Staaks jannekestaaks at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 27 08:55:33 EST 2007

As far as i know my yaya chirped a few times always during the day, just
like Zag. I don't know why she did it. she was about six months old, she did
it a few times, also when mieke was present, and then stopped altogether. I
was just sitting on the floor and she was underneath the table.
Maybe I should share how the dutch think about chirping. we call it 'waken'
which is freely translated into 'guarding'. They say that some guinea pigs
make this sound when there's a danger for the group. An account that I heard
was from someone who would always go outside when she heard one of her pigs
chirping (pigs lived outside) because this would usually mean that there was
some danger like a cat or a burglar or just a weird sound. Someone else
hated it when one of her pigs chirped because usually this meant that one of
her other pigs woukl die. But I also heard accounts with pigs chirping for
no apparent reason whatsoever. I don't know why they do it.
Grtz&wkz
janneke