[Gpdd] Misc: Why a Guinea Pig?

Carla Martinez cmartinez36 at houston.rr.com
Sun Jan 28 12:12:12 EST 2007

Why a guinea pig? This is a good question! We are a funny group of people
because we share an appreciation of their attributes. I want to share their
uniqueness with the people who don't know them very well. Why a guinea pig?
They have character, yet they are not so demanding, like a ferret might be.

Here are some adjectives to describe them: cute, sweet, calm and peaceful,
friendly, gentle, docile, funny, cuddly, sociable, communicative,
attractive, .an ideal size: small enough to hold but not so small they will
disappear forever behind the refrigerator. They have personality. Not
destructive, not nocturnal, basically unaggressive.

I like their perfectly circular staring eyes, and the tilt of their
lettuce-edged ears. I like their wide noses and their big waggly butts and
short little legs. Their whiskers are adorable. I like their little
radio-wave frequency noises. I like that they are vegetarians. It's so cute
to see them popcorn. It is interesting to see all the breeds of cavies.

I am bringing my stuffed guinea pig, Ray, from Blockbuster to school this
week. He will be standing in for Pawnsatawny Phil as the Pre-K students
learn a poem about Groundhog's Day. I don't know how much I would care about
groundhog's day if not for my own precious rodents. But anything remotely
resembling a guinea pig has my appreciation, thanks to them.  Wishing all
digesters a Happy Groundhog Day! And every day, happy guinea pig day!

Carla, Snowball and Apache ~ with Snickers in our hearts~