[Gpdd] MISC. Ginger's eating habits

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Mon Jul 2 06:18:03 EDT 2007

Hi Jaime,

Sorry it has taken me a while to respond but you've had some excellent advice about Ginger. Antoinette has posted just about everything that I was going to say!

Pellets for guinea pigs are a relatively new concept in England so I have always mixed up my own dry food for the Piggyfriends. This contains oats, dried peas, chinchilla grass pellets and maize. Not all of my herd eat a lot of dry food, although some clear their bowl but I only consider this to be something to nibble on between meals as they receive all their nutritional requirements from their hay, grass, veggies and tasty weeds. Some pick the peas from their mix. Maybe Ginger would like those. The Piggyfriends do not suffer from lack of pellets as none of them are slim!

If Ginger were here, I might be continuing with the brown bread and milk that I posted about before and I would be giving her a selection of veggies and noticing what her preferences are as you will be re-homing her.

Don't worry about the pellets. Just leave the bowl in her cage and let her choose. It may take some time before she is in the condition that she should be in. The poor little lady has been sadly neglected and needs time and love to recuperate.

The pigtures of the little family are lovely. I could never have returned the babes to the Humane League and I hope that they find great homes.

Lots of love to Ginger,

Penny and the Piggyfriends.