[Gpdd] MISC - guinea pigs and fireworks

Andrew a1.mills at portset.net
Wed Jul 4 13:14:47 EDT 2007

I think a lot of guinea pigs are afraid of loud noises.  I know mine don't like it much when there are fireworks going off.  There are a couple of things you could try if you know there are going to be more fireworks.  First, give her somewhere safe and secure to hide.  I would think she would feel better if she was in a secure place.  Also, try putting a radio or the tv on to drown out the sound of the fireworks a bit.  I know my aunt had a dog a few years ago who was afraid of all loud noises and whenever there was thunder or fireworks they'd put the radio on to help discuise the noise a bit and it seemed to help him.  I'm really not a fan of fireworks, I'm always glad when they're over.  Here in the UK we have bonfire/firework night on November 5 which means that there are always a lot of fireworks before, on the day and for a few days after.  We're always glad when it's over and done with.  We've only got one cat now but years ago when we had more it was an absolute nigh!
 tmare getting them in every night to make sure they didn't get frightened by the fireworks.  One of our dogs is also quite nervous and we partly blame fireworks for that as well.  We got her as a puppy in October 1999 and she seemed very outgoing.  Then after the new years/milennium celebrations where there was a lot of fireworks, she became very nervous and we think it was partly due to the fireworks.  People seem to use any excuse now to start letting off fireworks, they're a real nuisance when it comes to pets.