[Gpdd] HEALTH Osteo Dystrophy in Satins

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Sat Jul 7 06:58:07 EDT 2007

I researched this subject when I gave a home to a satin piggy and was warned about this devastating disease by the wonderful rodentologists at Cavies' Castle. A study was made by the Reading ( England ) RSPCA and more work would be done in this country but for lack of funds.

Janneke, whose satin piggy Yaya has this illness, told me about studies that had been made in the Netherlands. It seems that this disease is widespread among the European community of satin breeders and I am wondering if it is as rife in other countries.

Does any one know of a study being done in the US,  Australia  or other countries represented in the GPDD? Or maybe the strain of satins in your countries has not yet been affected.

I do not know if other types of piggy can fall prey to OD but, as in humans, illnesses can crop up for no apparent reason so it must be possible.

Whilst fervently hoping that Vic's Angela is not afflicted by OD it would be good to know if there is any work being done in this field. Perhaps one of us should post to the GuineaLynx forum as someone there might know.

I have been owned by two other satin piggies in the past, neither of whom ( thankfully ) suffered from OD but it may be that it is a comparatively recent problem. It has been discovered that very few satins in England do not develop OD and I may be lucky that my satin, named Satin by her previous owner, will remain free of it as she is now one of my senior piggies.

Love and wheeks to all piggies and their slaves,

Penny and the Piggyfriends.